Designing a closet organizer is very personal. As designers, we talk with people every day about their current closet “situation” and what type of “relationship” they have with that “neglected” pair of boots that they fell in “love” with at the mall and just “couldn’t live without”.
When it comes to designing closet organizers, one of the determining factors that a good designer will focus on is exactly what the client currently has in their closet. As you can imagine, the contents of a person’s closet is as distinct as their fingerprint and the one area that is particularly unique is footwear.
Everyone has a different collection of shoes and no two people have the same fashion sense. The one thing we all have in common, however, is that we can only wear one pair at a time. So what happens to the other 1 to 300 pairs that are left behind?
Closet organizers are a great way to get that pile of “lefts” and “rights” off the floor and onto the shelf. Typically, customers choose between either flat shoe shelves or slanted shelves with fences. The advantages of the flat shoe shelf are many:
- They are adjustable up or down on the closet organizers vertical panels. This makes them very flexible for storing anything from sandals to cowboy boots.
- The closet organizer shoe units can be custom cut to any width. This makes them ideal for a tight spot in your closet allowing you to store one pair per shelf. Or, you can measure your actual shoe width and get a shoe unit that will easily store multiple pairs per shelf.
- They are less expensive than the slanted shoe shelves with fences.
Slanted shoe shelves with metal fences, similar to the style you would see in a shoe store at the mall, have some nice features as well:
- They can be installed at any height but are not that easy to move after the initial installation. However, they do lock into place and provide a very sturdy shelf for your more expensive shoes.
- Let’s face it…some shoes are like art work…just gorgeous! The closet organizer slanted shoe shelf displays your fabulous shoe collection and greets you every morning with a perfect view of your favorite pumps.
- Because of the metal fences installed at the front of the shelf, these closet organizer shoe units typically come in 18, 24 and 30 inch widths.
When you decide to organize your closet, consider your shoes as well as the rest of the contents to make sure that your closet organizer will meet all your needs. At Closet Organizers USA, we offer both of these styles of shoe shelves. You can use our online closet organizer design tool or call our toll free number to speak to one of our closet designers. The design service is free.